Loading…
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsLocal
Published: 12/21/2008

Fire started by explosion leaves family homeless

BLADE STAFF

MONROE - A family of four, including two children, was left homeless Saturday when a power-generator explosion started a fire that destroyed its Frenchtown Township home and a nearby shed that housed the generator, authorities said.

A Frenchtown Township firefighter injured his shoulder while helping fight the blaze. Brian Onan, an 18-year fire department veteran, was released from Mercy Memorial Hospital, Monroe, after treatment, Frenchtown Township fire Capt. Joe Abbott said.

The explosion in a wooden shed about five feet from a single-story, wood-and-aluminum house at 1855 Birch St. was reported by a neighbor about

5:30 a.m., Captain Abbott said.

By the time fire crews arrived at the scene a short time later, the occupants of the house had escaped unhurt. The American Red Cross later assisted them with housing.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 90 minutes, but not before it had destroyed the house and the shed, the captain said. Captain Abbott estimated the fire damage at $100,000, which included the house, the shed, and their contents.

The kind of fuel that powered the generator remained to be determined, the fire captain said. The residence was not connected to a power grid, firefighters said.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.



Poll