Loading…
Thursday, December 25, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsLocal
Published: Tuesday, 4/28/2009

Oxygen tube ignites blaze in South Toledo

An oxygen tube caught fire from a burning cigarette yesterday morning, sparking a house fire that injured a South Toledo couple, authorities said.

Colnita Quisenberry and Donald Quisenberry escaped from their 1 -story house at 1332 Walbridge Ave. near Western Avenue and the Anthony Wayne Trail before fire crews arrived about 4:25 a.m., Toledo fire Battalion Chief Bill Hickey said.

The victims were then taken to the University of Toledo Medical Center, the former Medical College of Ohio Hospital, for treatment for smoke inhalation.

The fire started when Mrs. Quisenberry, who is on oxygen, was smoking in the first-floor bedroom at the back of the house, causing an oxygen tube to catch fire from her cigarette, Chief Hickey said.

The fire spread to some clothing and then throughout the room. Damage was estimated at $25,000.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.








Poll