ERIE - A squirrel was blamed for a power failure that left 1,846 Consumers Energy customers in Erie Township in the dark for more than eight hours Sunday.
The squirrel that entered the utility's Erie substation tripped overload breakers that protect against short-circuits at about 1:40 p.m., spokesman Bob Gluszewski said. Squirrels occasionally cause electric arcs when jumping or climbing between wires, he said.
Crews had to check for equipment damage before resetting the protective system, he said.
Power was restored about 10 p.m.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.