Loading…
Saturday, August 23, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsLocal
Published: Friday, 8/14/2009

Man, 21, convicted in slaying after party

BY ERICA BLAKE
BLADE STAFF WRITER

Armed with an assault weapon hidden in a pillowcase, Timothy Quinney approached a large crowd dispersing from a house party and opened fire, spraying about 20 bullets that killed one man and severely injured a teenager, an assistant Lucas County prosecutor said yesterday.

Quinney, 21, of 2015 Country Trace entered Alford pleas in Lucas County Common Pleas Court to one count of voluntary manslaughter and two counts of felonious assault, each with gun specifications.

Originally charged with murder and 18 counts of felonious assault, he was convicted of the April 18 shooting death of Olajuwon Mobley, 18, of 243 Moss St., as well as shooting Macy Lamont, then 16, in the chest and arm.

He faces up to 35 years in prison when sentenced Sept. 1 by Judge James Bates.

During the proceedings, Mr. Mobley's distraught mother left the courtroom sobbing. Her violent sobs could be heard in the courtroom, prompting Judge Bates to pause twice until court security could escort her out of the building.

"The mother was understandably upset," Assistant County Prosecutor Louis Kountouris said after the plea. "She understands the difficulties we had in this matter, as we understand it is an emotional situation."

Mr. Kountouris said the incident occurred just after a house party broke up late on the night of April 18. Prior to the shooting, he added, several fights had broken out at the home on Indiana Avenue.

Both victims were at the party, Mr. Kountouris said, and were among a group of about 50 people who had begun walking northbound on Forest Avenue about 11:30 p.m. It was when the crowd neared Pinewood Avenue that Quinney walked behind the crowd and opened fire.

Mr. Mobley was shot once in the left shoulder and once in the head. Lamondry Gaston, 16, was hit once in the lower abdomen and once in the right forearm, an injury that fractured a bone and for which he is still being treated.

Mr. Kountouris said that prior to the shooting, Quinney had received a phone call from someone telling him to bring a gun to the area. Toledo police Detective Jeff Clark added the incident was a culmination of a series of ongoing fights that were gang-related.

"There had been a fight the week prior. This was a spillover from that," Detective Clark said.

In an Alford plea, the defendant maintains his innocence or does not admit he committed a crime, but pleads guilty because he decides it's in his best interest. The court treats it as a guilty plea.

As part of the agreement, a murder charge was lowered to the manslaughter charge and 16 felonious assault charges will be dismissed. Quinney had faced a felonious assault charge for each bullet casing found at the scene.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.






Poll