Loading…
Saturday, July 12, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsLocal
Published: Friday, 9/18/2009

Firefighter injured in Adrian home blaze

ADRIAN - A city firefighter suffered a shoulder injury while at a blaze that damaged the second floor of the house at 158 South McKenzie St.

Flames were visible from second-story windows of the house when firefighters arrived about 4:40 p.m. on Wednesday.

Gary Suydam, the homeowner, said he found the fire when he heard a popping sound coming from upstairs. He went to get an extinguisher, but the fire was spreading. He fled and called 911.

The firefighter was hurt as he pulled down ceilings and opened walls to check if the fire had spread, fire Chief Paul Trinka said. He was treated at Bixby Medical Center. Authorities did not release his name, citing patient privacy laws.

Chief Trinka said the fire likely was accidental and began in a hallway at the top of the stairs. He estimated the damage at more than $30,000.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.



Poll