FREMONT — A fire Saturday afternoon in the garage of a two-story carriage house on the grounds of the Hayes Presidential Center displaced the family that lived on the second floor and destroyed equipment.
The blaze fire was reported about 3 p.m., said Thomas Culbertson, executive director. The fire department was called when tour guides in the historic Hayes home heard a loud bang, as did the family who lived in the carriage house.
Fire crews were still on the scene at 5:15 p.m., watching for hot spots and investigating the origin. The family and their pets escaped unharmed.
The building is about 100 feet removed from the Hayes home and museum.
“It didn't disrupt the house or museum, and it won't,” Mr. Culbertson said. “We'll be open for business as usual” on Sunday.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.