ADA, Ohio — A fire that destroyed a historic Methodist church likely was caused by unattended candles, which had recently been lit and ignited combustible materials, authorities said.
The fire at the 19th-century First United Methodist Church at Main and Highland streets in downtown Ada officially will be ruled undetermined because investigators were unable to enter the structure because of heavy damage and safety concerns, according to a joint release by the state fire marshal and Ada Fire Chief Michael Harnishfeger.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.