WAUSEON -- An elderly woman was found dead about 9:30 a.m. today, face down in the snow near her car in Fulton County's city of Wauseon.
Virginia McFeters, 90, was a resident of Wauseon Senior Villas on Glenwood Avenue in the city, and another resident at the villas saw the woman drive off in her car. Police were alerted and found the woman's car stuck in the snow near the villas. The woman's body was found nearby, said Wauseon Assistant Chief Bill McConnell who found the woman.
It was unknown how long the Ms. McFeters had been in the snow, but Assistant Chief McConnell said snow was drifting around the body. It looked as though after the car became stuck that the woman was trying to make her way back to the villas, he said.
Sally Roach of Delta, daughter of Mrs. McFeters, said the family has no idea why their mother was out and about or where she was headed when she left the villas.
Mrs. McFeters, who had lived in the villa community about seven years, was active in the First Christian Church on Elm Street in Wauseon.
Residents who knew her described her as an active, church-going kind woman.
The death, the assistant chief said, is a reminder that it is dangerous to be outside because of the severe conditions, particularly the wind chill factor.
Wauseon officers were told by Police Chief Keith Torbet to stop any motorists and tell them to go home. Fulton County remains under a Level 3 snow emergency and non-essential workers must stay off the roads.
- Harold C. Creswell, Jr. (1932-2016): Vet began as sweeper, retired as vice president
- Robert A. Rossi, Sr. (1925-2016): Marine in WWII led architectural group
- Julie Theresa Frisk (1917-2016): Physician helped establish former Parkview Hospital
- Missing Toledo man found dead at church
- Dorothy L. Jadlocki (1921-2016): Ex-Army nurse advocated for those with mental illness