TEMPERANCE — Bedford Public Schools officials held a news conference Thursday at which they categorically denied a Detroit television station’s report that a Confederate flag was flown at Bedford Community Stadium during an Oct. 9 freshman football game with Ann Arbor Skyline High School.
The district continues to investigate a report that racial slurs were uttered at the game but has ruled out an assertion made by a WDIV-TV story on Friday that someone waved a Confederate flag. So far, more than a dozen players, parents, spectators, and game officials have been interviewed, and nobody said they heard any racial slurs, Superintendent of Schools Mark Kleinhans said.
An extensive review of video recordings of the game and the stands showed no Confederate flag was present, he said.
“Somebody could have said something,” Mr. Kleinhans said. “We’re still investigating. If we find out, we will deal with that student. But our security footage of the stands and game show there was no Confederate flag anywhere.”
He said the television station’s use of a file photo of a Confederate flag was misleading, and the district was owed an apology and retraction.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.