New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez stretches his wrist during a workout at the Yankees' minor league complex in Tampa, Fla., Wednesday.
ASSOCIATED PRESS Enlarge
NEW YORK — Targeted by Major League Baseball’s investigation into performance-enhancing drug use, Alex Rodriguez says he’ll wait to fully comment on the decision by a former anti-aging clinic head to cooperate with the probe.
The New York Yankees third baseman was among the players linked to Biogenesis of America founder Anthony Bosch in a January report in the Miami New Times. Bosch agreed this week to cooperate with MLB’s probe, which could lead to suspensions for Rodriguez, Ryan Braun, Melky Cabrera and others. MLB hopes Bosch will provide information implicating players in the use of banned PEDs.
MLB is interviewing players linked to Biogenesis, a now-closed clinic in the Miami area. Rodriguez is recovering from hip surgery in January and regularly works out at the Yankees’ minor league complex in Tampa, Fla.
“Myself and others are being mentioned in a media report before the process is even concluded,” Rodriguez said in a statement issued today by his new spokesman, Ron Berkowitz. “I will monitor the situation and comment when appropriate. As I have said previously, I am working out every day to get back on the field and help the Yankees win a championship. I am down here doing my job and working hard and will continue to do so until I’m back playing.”
After The Miami New Times story was published, Rodriguez issued a statement through spokesman Terry Fahn on Jan. 29 saying “Alex Rodriguez was not Mr. Bosch’s patient, he was never treated by him and he was never advised by him. The purported documents referenced in the story — at least as they relate to Alex Rodriguez — are not legitimate.”